Sunday, November 16, 2008

Life as a volunteer in Makeni






















There is a great network of volunteers living in Makeni. There are people from all over the world doing work in various sectors. Most of us gather at a restaurant/bar or someone’s house for dinner/drinks every day. We frequent the Apex Hotel because it has a swimming pool, internet cafe, and the generator is always running (we can charge our electronics).
One of the cultural aspects that we all struggle with is the unrelenting attention that we get from the local people whenever we leave our houses. As a white person, you are constantly being yelled at (“opoto!” –white person) and greeted by everyone you meet along the street. The majority of people ask us for money or food, and many of them demand that we give them our personal articles (e.g., “Give me your hat. Give me your skirt.”) I actually miss the anonymity that we have in Canada. The people are very friendly and enjoy talking with us and they are very poor.
I climbed one of the small mountains surrounding Makeni and enjoyed the view of the city.
We hand wash our clothes and hang them to dry in our back yard.
We go to the market every day to buy fresh vegetables, fruit, rice, bread, spices, and eggs because we have no refrigeration. All of the daily activities, such as eating, bathing, and laundry are really time consuming and take up most of my time.
They make fresh ground nut (peanut) paste by grinding the nuts at the market.

4 comments:

Taimur Ali said...

Vicky you are my hero! What you are doing is truly amazing. I wish things were not so difficult (that rash looks really bad) but I'm sure what you are experiencing, learning and giving is invaluable. Love reading your blog. Feel like I am on this adventure with you. Keep on posting!

Cameron said...

Hi Vicky,
I am a medical student from the states and have lived in salone (north of makeni, a town called kagbere) for the last two years.I'm planning on doing a rotation through makeni hospital this summer and would love it if you would be willing to answer some questions and share your experiences with me. Is there any way I can contact you?

Thanks, and your blog has been great. I miss that country so much.

Vicki McGregor said...

Hey Cameron, I'm not sure how to contact you. I don't have access to your profile. Perhaps you'll check back here again. I'd love to hear from you about your experiences in SL. My email address is vmcgrego@yahoo.ca
Which hospital(s) will you be working in? See you in Makeni!

krisses said...

soooo.. make any headway yet? I think we need to send you some pens a long with the maxi pads ;)

can't wait to see u again! anne and i are dying to hear your stories.. we'll provide the beer.. we'll see what we can do about systems fitness hotties or firemen that don't like to keep their suspenders on.. LOL! just kidding! i joke! i joke!

see if you can keep that rash and take it to princess margaret's occ. health... i'd LOVE to know what their reaction would be!

miss u tons! *hugz*